Sunday, January 27, 2008

Padrón 1926 Serie No. 9 Natural

PLEASE NOTE: This blogger and blog has moved to his new home: http://covetry.net

Wrapper: Nicaraguan
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan

Cigar Stars Rating: 9.6

First off, I feel bad not having reviewed a bad cigar (or what I would consider a bad cigar) on this blog yet. Frankly, since I started it all the cigars I have been smoking have been really fantastic. The only real poor rating has been the Romeo y Julieta Vintage III cigar, and even that cigar didn’t drop into the 7 point category. But I have some interesting and very new (to me at least) cigars coming up this week and next and I have a feeling my luck will change.

This cigar is not going to change the trend though. Not by a long shot. This cigar was rated Best Cigar of the Year by Cigar Aficionado, and after smoking several of these both before and after that rating, I would say it was a no brainer. The Padrón’s are unlike any other cigar makers out there right now. As far as I am concerned, they are the bar at its highest. They are the only company who make consistently great cigars, and not just in taste, but also in construction. Their box pressed 1926 and 1964 Series are always of impeccable quality. I have yet to have a single draw or burn problem with a Padrón cigar, and I’ve smoked at least sixty of them by now. That is astonishing!

This particular size is my favorite. Not too short, not too long, but just right. And unlike the more infamous 80th perfecto, the price is just right too. At $18 MSRP (and God knows what in your local B&M, I paid $23 a stick for my recent acquisitions) it’s certainly not cheap. But for what you get, it’s right on the money. You simply can’t get a better smoke for less.

The cut, light, and draw of this baby was perfect; so lets just move on to what you really want to know about, the taste. To me, Padróns have a very distinct flavor profile and no other cigars come close. Pre-light tastes of good-ol-fashioned aged tobacco, maybe tea leaves as well. It’s cedary and a tad spicy out of the gate, but then mellows down within the first inch to open up to some beautiful black cherry, roasted nut notes. Halfway brings on espresso, coffee bean, and dark chocolate flavors, all notably sweet, but in that subtle Padrón way. The finish is a mile long and holds strong with a dryer, cocoa-like note. Spices are dusted throughout the smoke, framing and balancing it perfectly.

This cigar doesn’t disappoint. And if it does, email me and I will happily take any extras you might have off your hand. To José and Jorge: Well done guys. Well done.

3 comments:

Jesse Nachtigal said...

I had the Maduro version of this on my birthday. Fantastic smoke. Oh yeah I paid $17 for it. ;) Gotta love Kentucky's 0% Cigar Tax.

ablebodiedman said...

Just smoke one. Bought it at a Canadian Indian Reserve (no Tax) so half the price of a regular tobaccanist. It was fantastic. Wish I had bought more than one! Maybe I'll move to Kentucky?

Unknown said...

Such a great post.
cuban cigars
dominican cigars